Monday 26 November 2007

Christmas is coming faster than you can say Reindeer on Amphetamines

Did I say I’d finished my Christmas knitting?

Well, I haven’t. Rather I’ve decided I can do some more. What can I say. I’m a glutton for punishment. I was digging through my stash at the weekend and found some wool I’d purchased for felted boots. They were meant to be replacements for the felted boots I made last year and failed at. I still swear that wasn’t my fault. Under the foot portion of the pattern it says to make the foot 10 inches. I had never felted before so I didn’t know how much it would shrink and couldn’t guess if she meant from the heel or just the foot portion of the boot, so I make the foot 10 inches and they were too long by far. So. Now I’m redoing them. My grandmother will be pleased with them I know and I’m making a pair for my “cousin” who I think will like them. At least they are a quick knit – I knit one boot on Sun. in just about 3 hours – and I can felt them at my dads, so there’s plenty of time, especially since they don’t have to be done until Christmas.

I’m also working on my Rogue and really enjoying it! It’s got just the right combo of cable and stockinet. The cabling makes it interesting and the stockinet means it knits fairly quickly. I haven’t spent that much time on it and already have 5 inches of the sweater (back and front knit in the round) and the kangaroo pocket knit. However, knitting this now is teaching me a valuable lesson – Never choose the wool for a sweater in summer. Last summer I thought the sweater I was knitting for my dad would be too warm in wool. Now I’m realizing that the cotton blend I chose instead is a little on the cool side. Granted, his has more cabling than the rogue and that makes it a little chunkier, but still, it’s not as warm as it seemed last summer. I’m still going ahead with knitting it in this yarn. It just means that I might have to knit it again in a wool yarn too :0) Can you tell I’m liking this sweater?

I also have the usual phone sock on the needles, but it’s pretty much going nowhere fast.

All in all, the knitting gods are being nice to me at the moment. Things are going almost a little too well. I feel like I’m tempting fate. It’s also a lot easier to make fun of yourself when things go wrong. Oh well, you can’t have everything.

I will, however, most certainly have blog fodder after I pack though. Do you have any idea how much knitted wear I’m taking with me? I swear I’m running the risk of being arrested at customs for illegal import of mass knitted goods. Wonder if there’s a limit of any kind, like no more than 3 pair of socks, 1 sweater and a hat. If so, I’ve got problems. Rather large ones. And what if they ask me to value the goods? Seriously. If I told them what I would have to charge just to recoup the yarn I’d have to pay a fortune in customs, heaven forbid they decide to include the knitting hours in the price! *goes off to practice innocent look for zooming through customs purposes*

Good thing I’m blond. They’ll just assume I’m too stupid to knit.

Oh, and my next socks will be these: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cable-net

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a lot to do. Fun projects, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making me feel unproductive! I'd better finish something. I'm still plugging away on my Loksins.

    ReplyDelete