Thursday 15 January 2009

Mitts, Jumpers and Weather

Recently, The Mary Lou from the Yarnerinas allowed me to test knit a mitt pattern for her. The pattern is Tendrils Rib Mitts and should be available to the public soon. It’s an easy to knit pattern but is lively enough not to be boring and the results are fantastic. I used a worsted weight merino blend called Sportival from Bernetta Wolle in a grey-blue colour. They are just perfect for me and I love them. I apologize for the poor picture quality. Good light in winter is rare.

Before I knit those, I finished my Linden. I’ve been putting off blogging about it because it’s another one of those things that didn’t turn out as I planned. The yarn I chose really has too little bulk and too little drape to suit the pattern. I also knit it a little too small, despite having knit, washed and dried a gauge swatch like a good little knitter. The result is really that I won’t wear it. I might be able to gift it to someone for Christmas though, so it won’t be a total loss. I’d like to reknit this sweater with a different yarn at some time in the future. Maybe for next fall in a tweedy wool.

I’ve now started on my Winter Branches jumper. I like the shape of this sweater and the simple design. It’s a knit/purl design, so nothing fancy. It will take me a while to finish though since I’m using a sport weight yarn and there are a lot of stitches to do. I also swatched this one, but it’s already a bit smaller than it should be. I hope contact with water changes this. It might do. Enough of my projects have, but then, that’s always when I don’t want them to…

I’m also still itching to get started with my Kettle Dyed sock yarn - it must be the jay kettle colourway. I keep changing my mind about the pattern I want to do, so I haven’t even started yet. I suppose it’s better this way as I already have two other pairs of socks on the needles.

Finally, in non-knitting news, our wonderful polar air has receeded and left us with too warm weather again. For the first time in over three weeks it’s gotten to thawing temps outside. I’m not a happy bunny. Someone please send us some more of that nice, freezing polar air and maybe a little snow. There’s only two or three months of winter left and I’d like to make the most of it while it lasts.

2 comments:

  1. I have some to share - it's 20 below zero without the wind-chill! The mitts look great, but i have a question, should I include some decreased stitches for the bind off. I noticed mine pooching out a bit and yours seem to as well. Thanks so much for doing this. Now, want a sock pattern in the same stitch? It's all ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mitts. I'm going to keep an eye out for when they're available. Also, jealous of the Veronique Avery sweater. Her stuff is so modern, but comfortable looking.

    ReplyDelete