Friday 7 March 2008

The Stole

Very nearly called the Stole of Doom since I've nearly lost my mind doing it, but it redeemed itself a bit on blocking and will henceforth be referred to as The Stole. It's finished. I have learned a lot from this stole, mostly that I really am not cut out for difficult and large lace projects. I make too many mistakes and it's too difficult to fix them. As mentioned, I have no patience, but then, the double portion of stubbornness makes up for it, otherwise this would never have been finished. This will be my last really difficult lace project, although I do have a couple of simple ones in my queue at the moment. Not the least of which is the matching North Star Tam which will use the rest of this yarn up.



Another thing you would think I would learn is that scarves invariably get longer once they are washed. I KNOW this. Really, I do. Yet every time I knit a scarf I think what if this is the one scarf that doesn't get longer and it winds up too short and is therefore unwearable. I don't want people thinking I short-changed them on length and not wearing something because it's not long enough. Naturally, I did the same this time. I was going for 5.5-6" total and wound up with 7". This means I could have done one repeat less. Funnily enough, the last repeat was the one I had the most trouble with. It would have been bliss to not do it. The good thing is that it is long and I'm sure she'll appreciate the length.

At the beginning of the week, I also finished the first of Deb's Fensterl socks.

I love the pattern and the finished product looks great. It was written for dpns, but is easily adaptable. They can be a bit finicky to knit in such a small weight, but not too bad and definitely worth it in the end. I'll be starting the second this evening methinks. These too are for Grandma and she will love them.

I wonder how long it will be before my family hates that I learned to knit. " years on and they only get knitted things for Christmas, and birthdays, and random presents... At the moment they say they can't get enough, but I think we still might hit saturation at some point.

4 comments:

  1. The stole came out great.
    I love the socks.

    how could anyone hate getting knitwear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some seriously cool socks! But the stole, yikes! I could never make it through knitting something that long, my hats off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those really are some seriously beautiful socks! ;)
    And the stole, Stupendous! Your Grandma will look like a million bucks in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy wow! The stole looks gorgeous! I hope you treated yourself to something delectable after finishing that. Bravo!

    The socks are also fantabulous! Is that the oatmeal Valore?

    ReplyDelete