Wednesday 22 October 2008

Ugly Yarn and Weekends

After much deliberation and wondering what to do with my oh so ugly yarn, I did frog the first project and started a plain sock with said yarn. After having knit awhile, I began to see that a pattern is emerging, which is fortunate. It’s still not beautiful, but the leaning stripes being created at least prevent the aforementioned look of banana split stomach flu and should make an acceptable non-present present for my aunt, who is much less picky than I am, and is pretty much willing to wear most things that are hand-knit, whether they are things of beauty or not. (Her grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are also better than mine.) Granted, she’ll probably save these for wear with her Uggs, but at least they will be worn.

Since I know there are people on the edge of their seats about this (not joking), I’m still not certain as to whether or not I’ll be able to vote. I sent in the application, they replied that I needed to supply them with a county. We (aforementioned aunt) wrote in the county where I grew up and resent. I did receive a fax saying that my application had been successfully received, but that doesn’t tell me if I can vote or not. This leaves me wondering if and when I’ll find out. In the meantime, I’ve done a lot of reading and thinking and have made my decision, so at least I know who I’ll be voting for. I’m not going to say here since I don’t need another blog with political discussions. I have enough of those thanksmuchly.

Today I feel like singing Christmas Carols. I don’t know if it’s because I’m just in a good mood because all of my work is done and my 4 day weekend starts in less than 2 hours or if it’s because it looks like the closest thing to a white Christmas in California outside today. It’s still very much autumn here. The leaves are colourful and falling rapidly, it’s raining and foggy outside (fog=white Christmas, anyone from Central California will tell you that) and it’s chilly. Perfect, in my humble opinion. Not that I haven’t enjoyed the sun of late, but it’s time for it to get cold enough for me to feel like being inside. It was sunny last Sat. morning and the wonderful rays of sunshine in my living room served to highlight that all of my cleaning efforts from the previous evening were completely pointless because my apartment is a dust mote infested hole in which one could grow potatoes in various nooks and crannies. In short, I really need to get a good cleaning in. Not that it’s going to do so much good seeing as how I live in a 100 year old farm house right underneath the not so hermetically sealed hayloft, but at least I’ll feel better about it. I’ll have tried, made the effort, gone the extra mile and all that.

After cleaning, because this is such and intelligent thing to do since baking never involves mess, I intend to make the next batch of Christmas cookies for freezing. I’ve already got 5 sticks of Ginger Snap dough in my freezer and I want to do the Chocolate Swirls this weekend. At this rate, if I do one batch of cookies a weekend, I’ll have 8 sorts made by the beginning of Dec. I also only have one pair of socks and a pair of hand warmers to do and I’ll be finished with all my Christmas knitting. Then there’s a rather larger sewing project I need to finish, plus cards and packages and then Christmas can come. It’s Oct. I should finish on time. Please to be remembering that I have to have Christmas finished by the beginning of Dec. or various packages will not arrive in time. Stressed? Me? Never. But before anyone says I shouldn’t stress about it, these are things I WANT to do. I know I don’t have to, but I would be disappointed with myself if I didn’t. I’m sure that will change as I get older, but right now, I’m not willing to give it all up. It’s part of the fun.

Whatever I do this weekend, I plan on enjoying it. I hope you all have a good one too!

4 comments:

  1. Keeping my fingers crossed on the voting - no matter who you vote for! And cookie dough in the freezer already - what a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get much in the way of fog here, but I do see a large thunder cloud headed my way. Yay, rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know theres a web site called northpole radio or some such name as that? It plays Christmas music all year.....a tab more than I can stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, Ha. There's a reason that people always say "It's a small world." We love, love, love Davis. There have always been quite a few Taft kids who end up going to Davis. I think it's comfortable for them because of the rural setting....that is if you think having a state capitol 15 minutes away is rural:)

    If Paige does decide to go there, Russ and I are excited to try out every possible restaurant in town. I really think that the distance hit her though. She's now even mentioned going to Taft College a year or two so she can be close to home. Guess maybe she doesnt' despise us quite as muh as she thought (LOL)

    ReplyDelete