Friday 2 May 2008

Nylabones for Scarf Knitting :0)

Yesterday was Labour Day and I had the day off. Not everyone here gets it, but a lot of them do. It’s like an unofficial holiday and it’s up to your company whether they give you the day off or not. The only thing they have to do is give you the afternoon off if you want to go to the demonstrations, but if you do take it, you must go to the demonstrations and not home/shopping/bike riding etc. However, I got the whole day off and it was bliss.

I finally found a lace project that I can do without going gaga! That’s because it’s simple :0) I need to stick to simple. It’s the Zig Zag Lace scarf that I’ve been commissioned to do for my aunt – the trade off is the shipping on four NylaBones for the dogs (Um, yes, obviously for the dogs since I'm not in the habit of chewing on NylaBones), which came on Wed., but I won’t be able to get until today. Anyway, just another few inches to go and I’ll be done. I’m knitting 5.5 feet this time since, as we all know, it will get longer when washed. Right? It will get longer. Now watch it not get longer just to mess with me.

I really like this scarf. It’s simple and quick to knit. Plus the yarn I got is perfect. It’s the first time that it’s not taking me oodles of yarn to knit a scarf. By the time I’m done, I’ll only have used 200m or 125g. The last one I did for my aunt was the Leaves Scarf and that took 800m or 500g. Same yardage and weight per ball, but one seems to be going much further than the other. Still, it is a lighter weight. Somehow I have to wonder if the label on the new yarn is wrong.

After the scarf is done, I have to figure out how to make a hat out of the same pattern since I was silly and volunteered to do a matching hat. How very silly of me indeed. I’ll think of something.

I’ve also got to get my keester going on the blanket squares. Must do that. Must.

Then I need to get started on the Cat’s Paw Shawl I’m doing for my cousin. I’ll be winging the pattern, so be prepared for much gnashing of teeth. I’d like to do scalloped edges, but I may be getting myself out of my depth with that. We’ll see.

I’ve also got at least two more pair of socks planned. Cool ones. Want to start those too. So much knitting, so little time.

Randomly, Audiobooks are love. Love them. Muchly. Even if I don’t always listen to them while I knit, I do listen to them when outside with the dogs, which is a real boon. That way both the dogs and I are entertained. Must start listening to the Austen books for our RAL. Maybe this weekend. I’ve got The Reavers in at the moment (it’s funny, especially if you like history) and Making Money (Pratchett), although the file was damaged and I’m waiting for Audible to fix it. I’m also re-reading The Fifth Elephant right now which is another really fun book, especially since I know about the Stone of Scone this time.

I suppose blog entries will become few and far between now. The season has started and there’s more than enough work to do at the moment. Well, there is if it’s not the day after a holiday when the whole of Switzerland is off work anyway. The point being, by the time I get home, I’m not in any shape to blog coherently, so it’s best just to leave it.

3 comments:

  1. Do they spy on you to see if you go to the demonstration, or is it an honor system? The scarf looks good and I'll have to check out the Reavers, as I am a history geek. I managed to step on my glasses last week and nearly destroyed them -- I carefully jumped down to the area where they could not possibly have landed. You can imagine the rest...have a nice knitting weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that lace pattern, that would make a nice summer sock pattern. I just finished listen to Atonement on tape and I actually liked it! I put more of his books on hold today, at least I think he's a he!
    And you and your snow begging!shameless....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pattern on your scarf. At first, I thought they were upside down hearts.

    ReplyDelete